dont miss these news

This farmer begs his horse not to die. Look what it does with its leg in response
He can't let go

The young girl yelled out for help. When two teenagers saw why, they reacted immediately
Stop him!


Unbelievable: The dog playing fetch in the photo will soon be dead

Death after innocent game

A few weeks ago, Jennifer Walsh spent a day at the lake with her family. Their two-year-old schnauzer Hanz also came along. To keep the agile pooch busy, they kept throwing a stick into the water for Hanz to fetch. However, they were not to know that this innocent game would spell the end for the poor animal.

For an hour-and-a-half, Hanz ran into the lake more than 20 times to retrieve balls and sticks. At this point, no one could have suspected the danger the dog was in. It was only a little while later that the family noticed that there was something wrong with Hanz. When he came out of the water, he didn't shake himself off like he usually would. Shortly after, he started urinating uncontrollably and became lethargic.

You can watch the full story here:

As the animal's health quickly deteriorated, the family decided to take him to the vet. On the journey there, Hanz was in such a bad state that the Walshes had to do everything they could to keep him alive. Upon arrival at the clinic, the vet started treating Hanz straightaway — though sadly without any success. The little schnauzer had already passed away.

The Walshes only found out what had happened to their dog after he had died: Hanz had suffered from water intoxication, an illness that kills around 200,000 dogs every year.

Water intoxication is a result of ingesting too many fluids, which lowers the amount of sodium in the dog's body to dangerous levels. This is critical because the animal's kidneys require sodium to filter out water. When too much water has been ingested, the dog is susceptible to edemas, cramps and losing consciousness. As in Hanz's case, the condition can even result in death.

The first symptoms of water intoxication can be a loss of balance, nausea, vomiting or a loss of appetite. If you suspect your dog has ingested too much water, it's advised to give the animal some salt so that its body can filter out water again.

Smaller, energetic dogs that play in water are most at risk, as it takes less time for excessive amounts of water to build up in their bodies. However, this doesn't mean that larger dogs aren't susceptible to suffering from water intoxication.

Dog owners should ensure that their pets don't spend too much time in the water. This isn't just limited to retrieving objects from a lake — simply playing with water from the garden house and drinking from lawn sprinklers can also be dangers.


other popular news

Quirky Illustrations with Funny Messages
Minneapolis-based graphic designer Phil Jones, aka murraymullet, creates playful illustrations of ...

Now You Can Wear Your Favorite Art Masterpieces
The Indonesia-based boutique creates beautiful clothing featuring famous pieces of art. From ...

Coworkers with Animal Bodies
London ad creative Mike Whiteside has a tumblr called Desk Safari. He ads animal bodies to the ...

Who pays the price? The human cost of electronics
Thousands of young people in China enter export factories to make the West’s favorite electronic ...

Deaf woman hears for the first time after having her cochlear implants turned on
Forty-year-old Gateshead had surgery to install cochlear implants.